Monday, January 31, 2011

Pray

My husband called a prayer meeting for this past Saturday night and we went, admittedly, with little faith that many would show up for it. Although our church is home to close to 100 people, in the past we have very rarely had over four of us at prayer meetings. But last night we were pleasantly surprised and encouraged to have seventeen people in attendance. We shared prayer requests and then had a time of private prayer and afterwards met together for corporate prayer. It was a wonderful time and the presence of the Lord was felt by everyone.

We all felt refueled and reenergized to continue our Christian walk. It was a good thing, yet prayer has become something of a dodo in many churches today. Years ago people couldn't wait to get to prayer meeting to be in the presence of the Lord. Many brought their children who would lay under the pews or quietly colour in a colouring book while their parents prayed. They were brought up knowing how to pray. But that was a couple of generations ago. What happened? Why did it stop?

I've been to conferences called "prayer" conferences where there is very little prayer, certainly no more than what would be in a regular church service. Many churches have discontinued prayer meetings all together due to lack of interest. But why? Where did the passion to be in His presence cool?

Whatever the reason, I believe we are currently living in a generation that does not know how to pray and so they don't. It serves no purpose really, to point fingers and lay blame as to why we don't know how to pray but the fact remains that we don't pray. As a generation, we don't know terms like 'praying through' or 'tarrying before the Lord'. Those are out of date terms from another era, an era when we prayed.

My husband and I have felt the Lord leading us to become people of prayer this coming year. The Lord seems to be moving us towards a more intimate relationship with Him. We believe He wants His people to humble themselves and seek His face more than ever before. We need to not only pray for our families but we need to pray for our nations and our leaders. We need to pray for our world. We need to pray.

2 Chronicles 7:14 says "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." That seems to be pretty straight forward to me. The Lord is telling us the solution. We need to repent and pray. I once saw a wonderful anagram called P.U.S.H. which stood for pray until something happens. This is the kind of praying we need to be doing. Not just a quick now-I-lay-me-down-to-sleep type of prayer, but earnest seeking the Lord's face and praying until something changes in the situation.

Let me encourage you to pray. It can be one of the best things you will ever do for yourself and those around you. God bless.

2 comments

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with you Laurie. I am so proud of our congregation - getting a good start to the year 2011 by committing themselves to prayer. I am excited to see what God has in store for His people as they get serious about His work, His word and His will for their lives. As always, a great and timely word on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Amen & Again I Say Amen !!!!! Sooo Glad you decided to get this in motion....So very Important !!!! Pray God Will set Our Hearts on Fire !!!! God Bless You Both & Your Family !!!! "

    ReplyDelete