Friday, February 4, 2011

My Fortress

According to the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction a fortress is:

1. A fortification of massive scale, generally of monumental character and sometimes including an urban core; also called a stronghold.
2. A protected place of refuge.
In times of war or seige I definitely want to be in a fortress or a stronghold. I don't want to be outside the gate with no protection. The psalmist David knew that to be in a fortress was the best thing too and he knew that his fortress was the Lord.

"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble."

(Psalm 59:16)

We are in a spiritual war every day. Every day the enemy of our soul will try to distract us from following after God. He will try to discourage us and tempt us. We are at war. And especially in times of war we need to be found inside our Fortress. We need to be close to the protection He offers. We are not strong, but He is! We cannot protect ourselves, but He can! He is our fortress, our refuge in times of trouble.

So how do we remain inside the Fortress and not give into the temptation to leave the protection of His gates? We need to walk daily with the Lord. We need to talk to Him daily and read His Word- the Bible. We need to do everything we can to live our lives in a way that would be pleasing to Him. No we are not perfect and God knows this and sees the intent of our heart. He can see that we are trying to live for Him. He knows everything.

I once heard a pastor give this advice to newlywed couples: when you are going to argue, hold each other in your arms and then argue. Well needless to say if there is any arguing to be done, it will be very short. It's just about impossible to argue and fight while holding the person inches away from yourself. Maybe that is a simple analogy but I believe it works well for this subject too. If we keep ourselves close to God by reading His Word, praying every day and following His ways, it will be harder to slip into trouble and give into temptation.

Keep yourself in the Fortress. I have found that throughout my life whenever there has been trouble that I am facing I run to the Fortress and He shelters me. He is my 'ever present help in a time of trouble' (Psalm 46:1), but He is also my Dearest Friend and Closet Companion. He is my Rock, my Shelter, my Deliverer, my Friend.



Post a Comment