Friday, March 25, 2011

The Kiss

I remember the first kiss my husband ever gave to me. It was full of promise and excitement. It felt wonderful and special, all wrapped up into one package. I have since then received many kisses from him, after all it has been almost 30 yrs that we have either been dating or married. I would like to say that I remember every one of them but I'd be lying. We all get so caught up in our every day lives that sometimes we can go a whole day without a kiss. Oh I don't mean that we don't give each other a peck in passing, but not a real kiss. That's terrible! Nothing is that important that a simple act of intimacy with the one you love becomes forgotten.

I recently read an article on longevity in marriage and one man shared something that he and his wife always do: before they start each day they have a 10 second kiss. Ten seconds may not seem to be very long, and I'm sure when you were dating your kisses were much longer, but taking just 10 seconds out of your busy schedule to give the love of your  life a meaningful kiss is a wonderful way to start your day.

Today while I was baking my husband came to me and wrapped me in his arms and gave me the most wonderful kiss. It was just an unexpected gift that he gave me. Maybe you are thinking that I am being too personal telling you these things but I want to tell you this to encourage you to find joy in the little acts of love that sometimes we take for granted or even fail to show to each other.

The Bible is very clear that God expects us to show love to one another.

Proverbs 5:18 says: "may you rejoice in the wife of your youth."   

 "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth—
   for your love is more delightful than wine." Song of Solomon 1:2


A kiss is a small thing. It doesn't take up much of your time but it can bring so much joy to the one receiving and the one giving it. The next time you are with your beloved spend 10 seconds getting to know one another all over again. Give them a 10 second gift of a kiss. You'll be glad you did.

My beloved is mine, and I am his. Song of Solomon 2:16

Post a Comment