Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools

I like silly April Fools Day jokes. I like the ones that you wonder if someone is pulling your leg, but you really know deep down inside that it is probably a joke. I like simple things. But some people love April Fools Day and go to great lengths to 'fool' people.

I stopped playing serious April Fools Day jokes quite a few years ago when I carried one too far. We had just moved back to Canada, after spending four years living out of the country, and we were enjoying living only an hour and a half away from my Mom and Dad. They would visit quite regularily and we would talk on the phone every day. Life was good but in the back of everyone's mind was the fact that ministry families rarely stay in one place long term. After being back on home soil only a couple of years I called my mother and with a sob in my voice I told her that Brad had resigned the church and that we were moving to British Columbia (the other side of Canada). She started crying and asking me if I was serious and of course, in true April Fools fashion, I lied and said yes I was sure and that we would be moving in a month. She cried so hard that I had to relent and shout "April Fools". She didn't believe me and I spent the next few minutes convincing her that I was only playing a bad joke. I had upset her so badly that I felt horrible and have never played a serious joke again.

Much the same thing happened to Benjamin. He has always idolized his grandfather. Grampy knew everything and could do anything and always told the truth. So he believed every word Grampy told him. He was around eight or nine years old when Dad called him on April 1st, early in the morning. Benjamin was excited to be getting a phone call from Grampy, so he eagerly went to the phone. The conversation went something like this:
Grampy: does Mama have the news on TV?
Benjamin: no, why?
Grampy: well a circus was passing down the highway outside of Yarmouth and an elephant escaped.
Benjamin: REALLY??
Grampy: yes and they say it's walking down the center line in Arcadia! You should check out your window and see if you can spot it.
Benjamin: I'm looking Grampy and I can't see one.
Grampy: April Fools!!

Benjamin was so disappointed that he didn't see the elephant that didn't really exist. He couldn't believe that Grampy would fool him and it took quite awhile for him to understand that there never was a circus or an escaped elephant. Dad felt terrible and he talks about it every April Fools Day. So this morning when I called Dad I said 'there's an elephant walking down your street', and he laughed. And when Benjamin got out of bed I said 'there's an elephant walking down the street' and he laughed. So that is the extent of my April Fools Day jokes. We share memories and laugh.

Proverbs 15:13
A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance
Proverbs 15:15
 he who is of a merry heart has a continual feast.
 Proverbs 17:22
A merry heart does good, like medicine

Post a Comment