Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chasing Him

My husband and I are 17 days apart in age so while we were in school we were in the same grades, but never in the same classes. We first met in grade eight when he jumped on my back, pushed me in the snow and proceeded to wash my face with the snow. (He doesn't remember this, but I do and he wasn't one of my favourite people.) When I went home that day to get dry clothes on, my Father told me that this boy had done that because he liked me. I didn't think so at the time.

Let's fast forward to grade 11 and 12. Brad and I would often meet each other in the hallways of the school while we were changing classes and we would smile at each other or he would say something goofy. Eventually we came to the point where we were hanging out by the railing of the stairwell together with his sidekick, Mark Mahoney. We were just three friends spending spare minutes together and none of us thought any more about it than that.

But then one day things changed. Every time we changed classes that day I happened to see Brad and every time he would have some smart mouthed thing to say to me as a jab or a joke. At the end of the day, at the last class change, after another remark, I turned to him and said 'why don't you just drop dead?!' and he did! Well not really dead, obviously, but right there in the middle of a busy hallway, with close to 200 students walking by, he dropped face first on the floor at my feet. It had the desired affect: I laughed uncontrollably! And I fell in love right then and there.

There was only one problem with me falling in love: Brad didn't have a clue. He was just goofing around and maybe Dad was right this boy did like me, but he didn't know how to show it. So I pursued him. I chased him. I was captain of the bowling team so I invited him to come and be a spare. He declined. When he did, his friend Mark slapped him and said 'you big dummy, she likes you', so the next time I asked he agreed to come bowl with me. I can't remember all that I did to tell him that I liked him because I don't remember but I do know that every chance I could get to be with him, I did. Every time I could show an interest in what he was doing, I did. I chased him until he caught me.

I recently read a quote that has stuck with me "We will never walk in the Spirit accidentally...you show me a godly woman & I will show you a woman who pursed God!"


Reading that quote reminded me of how I set out to pursue my husband. I eventually caught him and my life has never been the same. But I often wonder what would have happened if I hadn't pursued him. What if I had just let things take their own course, would we have got together? I don't know.


We have to do the same with God if we want to have a relationship with Him. We have to pursue Him. We have to search for Him with all our heart and He will be found by us. Unlike my husband who didn't know that I wanted a relationship with him, God knows our heart and He knows if we want to be with Him or not. 


Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek Me and find Me when ye shall search for Me with all your heart.



Deuteronomy 4:29
But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find Him, if thou seek Him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.



Psalm 24:5-6

He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Such is the generation of them that seek Him, that seek Thy face.




Post a Comment