Friday, June 10, 2011

He Doesn't Always Say Yes

       I recently heard a woman say 'I'm thankful for all times God answered my prayers and I'm thankful for the ones He didn't answer too.' I knew what she meant. It's not that God didn't answer her prayer but that He didn't give her what she was asking for and she was thankful, in hindsight, that He didn't. God said no to that particular prayer.

       God knows what is best for us, His children, so sometimes when we are asking for something that will ultimately harm us, He won't say yes to a prayer like that. But if we ask according to His will, then we know that prayer will be answered in a positive way. God loves us and He wants only good things for us. 

       When I was quite young I asked my father if I could have a jackknife like my older cousin had. I wanted one so badly but he said no, because I was too young. It wasn't that my father didn't love me, it was because he did, that he said no. When I was older I understood that my father didn't think it was safe for me to have a pocket knife at my young age and he was right.

       My husband once preached a sermon on how God answers prayer and I've never forgotten it. He said God always answers prayer but His answers aren't always yes. Sometimes He answers 'no', sometimes He answers 'slow' or not right now, wait for My timing, and sometimes He answers 'go' or 'yes'. It's not that God doesn't care or doesn't hear your prayer. He does, but like any good father He will not give you something that either is not good for you or you are not ready for, so sometimes He doesn't always say yes.

       When we pray we are to pray for God's will to be done in our life. "And this is the confidence that we have in Him: that if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us." 1 John 5:14 
       We are to make our petition known. "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16
       Finally, we are to trust Him to do what is right in our life and love Him no matter what He answers."Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" Genesis 18:25
     
       I didn't love my earthly father any less when he said I couldn't have a pocket knife. I still loved him even though he didn't give me what I wanted. We are to do the same with our Heavenly Father. Love Him and trust Him. "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5,6

Post a Comment