Monday, July 18, 2011

Are You Desperate?

When was the last time you prayed a desperate prayer? Not just a 'now I lay me down to sleep' type of prayer but a truly desperate prayer? A prayer that says to God, 'I have no where else to turn and I don't know what to do'? I know I have prayed those types of prayers before in my life and I have always seen God, moved with compassion, come to rescue me or to meet my need. He has never failed me or let me down. He has never ignored my plea. He has sorted out the mess I had made of the situation and gave me clear direction.

So many times we try to do things our own way and never stop to consult God. Sometimes we rely on our own way of thinking and end up in a mess. Sometimes we try to solve our own problems when we have a generous God just waiting to be asked to intervene on our behalf. Whenever we go to God with a desperate prayer He sees that we are serious and He sees that we are taking our hands off the situation and asking Him to move in it for us. A desperate prayer releases God to do His work.

King Hezekiah  prayed a desperate prayer to God, when the king of Assyria was coming against him and God. We read the whole account in 2 Kings chapter 19 but we read his prayer in verses 15-19.


15 And Hezekiah prayed to the LORD: “LORD, the God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth. 16 Give ear, LORD, and hear; open your eyes, LORD, and see; listen to the words Sennacherib has sent to ridicule the living God.
 17 “It is true, LORD, that the Assyrian kings have laid waste these nations and their lands.18 They have thrown their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods but only wood and stone, fashioned by human hands. 19 Now, LORD our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone, LORD, are God.”


Throughout the prayer Hezekiah acknowledges that God alone is the true God. He is asking God to show His power to his enemies and the world because he knows what God is capable of. He is acknowledging God's power and who He is. 


When we pray, we need to acknowledge that God is so much greater and more powerful than we ever could even hope to be. He is God. We are not. He can solve the problems in our life that are too great for us to bear. He alone, can give us direction in our lives and lead us to green pastures. He alone, can supply our every need. 


Is there a problem in your life today that you just can't solve? Is there a situation that seems unbearable that you need direction in? Let me encourage you to pray a desperate prayer, a prayer that says to God 'I am taking my hands off this and asking you to show who You are to the world.' He will come through for you. Trust Him and allow Him to move in your life. He will never let you down. He will never disappoint you. Trust Him. 

Post a Comment