Friday, August 26, 2011

What's Underneath?

We worked on our farm house the other day and were able to tear down the ugly ceiling tiles in the kitchen. Under the tiles was the original wood ceiling. As I looked at this beautiful ceiling I wondered why someone had decided to cover it all up in the first place. Over the next few days it was sanded and repainted a nice white and it became the beautiful ceiling it once was.

Sometimes we don't know what is underneath the exterior of things until we start to take off the layers and often we find something beautiful. People are the same way. Sometimes we come into contact with someone who has a gruff, taciturn personality and it's hard to get close to them. They're almost like a porcupine with their sharp needle-like quills sticking out all over, but just like a porcupine has a soft spot (their belly), so do these people. If we only look at the exterior we could be scared away from having a relationship with them, but if we begin to peel back the layers of years of hurt and distrust, we just might find something beautiful underneath. That true person is worth looking for.

I'm so glad that God looked at the ugly state I had got myself into and cared enough to look at my heart. He saw something worth saving. When I asked Him to forgive me of my sins, He not only did that but He began to change the person I was. I became a better person when I turned my life over to Him. We sing a beautiful little song called Something Beautiful and it explains exactly what I am trying to say today. I hope you will be blessed by it too.


SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL (Bill Gaither / Gloria Gaither)  
Something beautiful Something good
All my confusion, He understood 
All I had to offer Him was brokenness and strife
But He made something beautiful of my life

1 comment