Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Two Are Better Than One

I am missing my husband. We are entering our second week of being apart, not by choice, but by necessity and I am missing him. I know that I will see him in four more days, but it seems so far away right now. I like my husband. Yes, I love him, but I like him too. I like being with him and doing things with him. He helps me and I help him. I like sharing things with him and I find myself wishing he was here throughout the day so we could laugh over something I'd seen or heard. But he's not here and I feel like a part of me is missing, because it is.

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12 says:
 Two are better than one, 
   because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
   one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
   and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
   But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
   two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

I love these verses and how they speak of two being together and how good it is. But the key to a successful relationship is found in the last line: 'a cord of three stands is not quickly broken'. Here we are talking about two and suddenly we have a third Person in the relationship. Of course, we know that the third part of the cord is Christ. When you have Christ as the centre of your relationship, your relationship will be 'not quickly broken'. It will be strong and resilient and just like I feel lost without my husband being here, I would be horribly lost without Christ in my marriage. 

It saddens me when I see couples who are not still in love with each other. Couples who may still live together and share a roof over their heads but who have allowed their hearts and minds to grow apart. Let me encourage you to cherish your spouse and to spend time together getting to know each other all over again. But most importantly allow Christ to have a place in your relationship. 

Post a Comment