Friday, October 28, 2011

Would Jesus Celebrate Halloween?

When I was little I got a Halloween costume every year and looked forward to all the candy I would be getting. My parents were young Christians and didn't know about Halloween and frankly there wasn't much teaching on the subject. We were all content to live in our ignorance. But then a new pastor came to our church and told us about Halloween. He challenged us to know the history of Halloween and to understand the significance of the traditions of that day. 


After I had heard the truth and searched the Scriptures myself, I couldn't participate, in Halloween celebrations, any longer; my conscience wouldn't allow me. Since that time I have found that my decision has left me very much isolated in opinion in the Christian community. Many Christians feel that there is no harm in decorating their homes and passing out treats for Halloween. Some use Oct. 31 as a night to evangelize the lost by passing out Gospel tracts with their treats; but I wonder, if in the urgency of sorting the candy at the end of the night, if any actually get read or just tossed, who knows? 


I cannot answer for what other Christians decide to do when it comes to Halloween. I can only answer for myself and after reading the Word I can't. But it really isn't important what I think. The only things that matters are: what does the Word say? and what would Jesus do? So first let's look at what the Word has to say: 


Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. The person who does what is good is from God. The person who does what is evil has never seen God. 3 John 1:11


 Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. Psalm 34:14


Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.”“Therefore come out from them and be separate,  says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.” 2 Corinthians 6:14-17

 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light  (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)  and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. Ephesians 5:8-11


 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,  or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.  Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD Deuteronomy 18:10-12


“Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.  Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood. Revelation 22:12-15

These are just a few Scriptures from the Word, but I think they are a good representation so we can see that as Christians we are not to have anything to do with the darkness of this world. Now, let me ask you, in regards to Halloween, what would Jesus do? Would Jesus be pleased with His children celebrating Halloween? These are questions that I cannot answer for anyone else but myself, so I ask you to do the same. Ask yourself these questions today then pray and ask for God's guidance and He will direct you as to what you should do.

Being a pastor's wife, I have been asked many times "is it wrong to do _______?" You fill in the blank. But I have been asked very few times: "is it wrong for a Christian to participate in Halloween?". I think the reason for that is that people don't want to know. It's more comfortable not to be challenged by the Word. The Word will instruct us on every subject, if we truly want to know the answers. Study it for yourself and allow the Spirit of the Lord to speak to your spirit. 


All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 2 Timothy 3:16


All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 2 Timothy 3:16


Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15


Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin. James 4:17


It would be better if they had never known the way to righteousness than to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life. 2 Peter 2:21








Post a Comment