Sunday, January 1, 2012

Family: Who Are They?

Who is your family? Are they the people who are part of a group to which you were born? Or are they the people you meet in your life who you can depend on, no matter what? I think the definition of family is more of the latter than the former. While you may have a wonderful biological family on whom you can depend, some people don't and they may feel left out. They may dread family gatherings and family reunions. They may feel like their biological family are strangers. 


I think Jesus, Himself, defined what a family actually is, much better than any of us could: 



While Jesus was talking to the people his mother and brothers stood outside. They wanted to talk to Jesus. A person told Jesus, "Your mother and brothers are waiting for you outside. They want to talk to you." Jesus answered, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" Then Jesus pointed to his followers and said, "See! These people are my mother and my brothers. My true brother and sister and mother is any person that does the things my Father in heaven wants."  Matthew 12:46-50


You may not have the most caring or closest biological family, but you can still have a wonderful, loving, caring 'family' in those you share the common bond of salvation with. Stop waiting for your actual family to finally live up to the Hollywood version of what a family is and embrace the family God has given to you. Your brothers and sisters in Christ will sometimes outshine your biological family in caring for you. 

Instead of feeling like you've missed out on having a close family like the Waltons or Little House on the Prairie, celebrate the family God has given you. Family are those who are there when you need them. They're the ones who will love you and care for you and care about you. I'm thankful for the family He has given me; they may not have been born in the same house as I was, but they are family nonetheless. 


"Family isn't always blood. It's the people in your life who want you in theirs. The ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile, and who love you no matter what." Nancy Rebecca White

Post a Comment