Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Just Can't Do It

The other day we finished putting up the fence around our house. Brad, Benjamin and I worked on this last half and in just under three hours the project was finished and looking good. The dogs were happy; we were happy. I would like to say that I was a big help but truthfully I wasn't. We were using an eight pound maul hammer to drive six foot metal posts into the ground. They had to be sunk two feet deep. I am 5'7", and even though I was willing to do the hammering, I had a struggle to even lift the heavy hammer above my head. Once I did, it was beyond my reach to be effective; all I could do was tap, tap, tap on the top of the post and it didn't move even an inch.I just couldn't do it. Instead, I passed the tools when needed and helped unroll the fencing and helped secure it with metal ties, but I couldn't do the heavy work of pounding in the posts, even though I wanted to help.


Benjamin, who is 6'6" had no problem whatsoever pounding those posts into the ground. He is young and strong and has muscles I never had and he has a height advantage. He can do it, but I can't. He let me take my try and laughed and shook his head at my pitiful attempt to hammer the post, then he took the heavy hammer from me and proceeded to get the job done. 


This whole episode made me realize how pitiful our attempts to solve our own problems must seem to God. He lets us have a try at it and then He quietly asks us to let go and let Him have control of our life. When we turn our lives over to Him, our struggles cease and what at one time seemed to be so impossible becomes a reality. If I had insisted that I be the one to sink all of the metal fence posts, I'd still be out there tap, tap, tapping away, getting nowhere and becoming more exhausted and frustrated by the minute. But when I turn things over to the One who loves me, I realize that I can't do everything on my own: I need help and I especially need the Lord's help always. 


Are you tap, tap, tapping away at your problems and getting nowhere? Let me encourage you to turn your life over to the Lord and give Him control. His ways are so much higher than ours and He can do the impossible. Just stop struggling and believe. God bless. 


Matthew 17:20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Post a Comment