Monday, September 10, 2012

Sisterhood

I saw a picture the other day of a herd of elephants. They were all standing in a circle surrounding a mother elephant who was giving birth. Outside the circle the hungry hyenas were prowling, looking for a chance to attack the newborn, but the mother had nothing to fear because although she couldn't protect herself or her baby at that moment, she had sisters and aunts standing guard over them. 

I love elephants anyway but this picture was a powerful reminder of the wonderful sisterhood which we have in our church. There is such a strong bond between the women of our congregation that we do protect and care for each other. There is a beautiful sense of unity that I know is not seen in many churches. Because of that bond and that love, we are always eager to find a need and work together to meet that need. We are mamas on a mission so to speak. 

There is a young mother in our community who has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Her children come to our Wednesday night Kids Club but the parents do not attend our church. But that didn't matter to our sisterhood. Someone suggested we have a bake sale to raise money to help this little family and three days later we did have one and raised $1300. On Sunday night the women of our church walked to this young mother's home and presented her with the cheque and prayed with her. I was so proud of the love our ladies show to so many people. They truly show the love of Christ. 

Just like the elephants in the picture we are to surround someone who is hurting and care for them. We're to protect them from the raging enemy by praying for them and encouraging them. We're to mourn with those who mourn and laugh with those who laugh. We're to show that we are Christ's disciples by the love we have for one another. Its easy to say that you love someone but they'll never believe it unless you show it to them. Love is a verb, an action word, not a noun, a thing. Love needs to be shown. 

Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing. 
1 Thessalonians 5:11

Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. Isaiah 1:17

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity! Psalm 133:1

I personally am so thankful for the women of our church. They have encouraged me and protected me. They've defended me and stood with me. They've surrounded me when I've felt weak and lifted me up in prayer. They've mourned with me and comforted me. I am so blessed to have them in my life. 

Maybe you don't have that kind of a relationship with another Christian woman. Let me encourage you to seek it. Reach out to a sister-in-Christ and just see what two of you can accomplish together for the Lord. Psalm 68:35 tells us that "one can put a thousand to flight and two ten thousand", that's pretty good math if you ask me. But it works! When we have God on our side and we are walking in unity with fellow believers, in a sisterhood, then ladies there is nothing we can't accomplish with His help! 

Post a Comment