Sunday, November 25, 2012

A "Eureka Moment"



The most wonderful thing happened one night at Kids Club. I was privileged to watch a ‘eureka moment’ happen: that moment when the light goes on, when someone really gets it, when their understanding is awakened. It was really something to see and I wanted to share it with you.

It all began in October when we started Kids Club again after the summer break. I was planning the song service and I just didn’t feel led to sing the songs we had always been singing. We had sung the traditional Sunday School songs every Wednesday night at Kids Club, for six years, and it was time for a change. This past summer we had done a Vacation Bible School program which was excellent and had a wonderful DVD full of worship songs, so I decided to begin using that DVD for our Wednesday night song services.

At first I chose the songs we would sing but the kids soon developed their favourites and would request certain songs. They loved to sing them and do the actions which accompanied each song. One song in particular really stood out as a favourite. It’s called Indescribable. From the youngest to the oldest each child would sing every word of this beautiful song and do the praise actions for it. It was a beautiful thing to see.
Let me read you the words to this song:
"Indescribable" written by Chris Tomlin

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creation's revealing Your majesty
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring
Every creature unique in the song that it sings
All exclaiming

Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

After our song service the kids made their story circle around my chair so I could give them the night’s lesson from our book. The lesson was on praise. The key verse was Psalm 100:4
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.

I explained to the kids how we are to come into God’s house with a thankful heart and to praise Him not only for all He has given us but also for Who He is as well. I asked them what we could thank God for and as we went around the circle we heard answers like ‘my family’, ‘my home’, ‘my clothes’, ‘my pets’, all answers I had expected to hear.

Then I explained that we are to not only be thankful but we are to praise God as well. We can praise Him for Who He is. One little girl excitedly said ‘He’s indescribable!’ One after another, just like popcorn popping, the kids shouted out ‘He’s all powerful’, ‘He’s untameable!’, ‘He’s uncontainable!’, ‘He’s amazing!’ They got it! They understood! I was so excited! Their little faces were beaming and we were laughing with pure joy about our wonderful Lord.

I went on to teach the rest of the lesson and when it came time to end our lesson with a word of prayer, I was truly humbled by what happened next. Usually when I ask the children to pray we get them to fold their hands and bow their heads by saying ‘wiggly fingers, lock them together, bow your head’ but as I was about to say this familiar thing I looked and one by one the kids were bowing down on their knees and putting their faces to the floor. I asked them what they were doing. One little girl looked up at me sideways and said ‘we want to pray this way tonight’. I told them that all through God’s Word it tells us to fall on our face before the Lord, so with that we prayed.

This wasn’t something I had the kids do. It wasn’t even something I had taught but in the song they had sung it says “Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim You are amazing God” and these kids, our kids, wanted to praise God and pray to Him in this way. It was truly humbling that I could be a witness to God moving in these young lives. God spoke to their hearts and their young, tender hearts responded.

The Word tells us in Isaiah 11:6 that ‘a little child shall lead them’ and I truly believe that’s what happened that night at Kids Club. It was a moment when a song wasn’t just a song anymore but a tool the Lord used to teach these children about pure praise to Him. God was the teacher that night, I was only a witness.

But my question to you is this: if these little children can praise God for Who He is and for all He has done for them, can you too? Can you throw off all hindrances and simply and purely praise Him? Can you have that ‘eureka moment’ when you realize that the song that you are singing isn’t just a song but a way to praise the Lord? Would you dare to fall to your knees as you humbly proclaim You are amazing God? These kids did and they didn’t care who was watching, they just wanted to praise the Lord!










Post a Comment