Friday, January 25, 2013

Doreen's Cookies

Today is one of those beautiful winter days. The sun is shining and big, fluffy, flakes of snow are being blown around by the wind. The pond is frozen over and the duck decoys are stuck firmly in place. All is white  and beautiful as I look out my kitchen window. Cookies are baking in the oven and the kerosene heater in the kitchen is doing its best to compete with the heat from the oven. All is quiet and homey. One of my favourite types of days.

As I look at the recipe printed out in my cookie recipe book, I am reminded of the dear woman of God who passed her recipe on to my mother. Doreen Sawler was our pastor's wife when we lived in Newcastle, New Brunswick. I was ten years old and during those short months, that we lived there, I gave my heart to the Lord in that little church. Doreen and Art Sawler became very dear to our family and years later they came to our wedding and Pastor Art assisted our pastor with the ceremony.

Doreen has since gone on to be with the Lord but her memory is revived in my heart every time I bake her cookies. I realized, once again, how important it is to pass on recipes and stories. Through them our memory, who we are will live on.

I hope you enjoy Doreen's cookies. You can either roll them out and use cookie cutters or put them through a cookie press, but I like using my cookie stamps. I roll the dough into a ball and then stamp the ball with my favourite one. As you make them, I hope you will think about your own relationship with Jesus Christ. Doreen had a personal relationship with the Son of God and I hope you will too.

Doreen Sawler's Cookies
1 cup margarine
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 cup icing sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups all purpose flour
4 heaping tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
bake at 350 for 12 min.


Post a Comment