Thursday, February 7, 2013

Granny Ossinger's Cookies

My cousins' grandmother, on their father's side, was Granny Ossinger. Even though she wasn't our grandmother we all called her Granny Ossinger just the same.Years after her husband, my Uncle Bud's father, died she married Sydney Mahaney, the dory builder. She and 'Mr.Sydney' often  came to visit Uncle Bud and Aunt Pat when we were there visiting as well and when she did she always brought us her home made molasses cookies. They were big, thick soft cookies that were so delicious with a cold glass of milk.

 I don't know how old the recipe actually is but I do know that it is the only molasses cookie recipe I have ever used. Granny Ossinger passed the recipe down to anyone who wanted it and I am passing it on to you now. It's an easy recipe and makes a lot of cookies. You'll need an extra cookie jar for this one, but if you don't have one don't worry, you can freeze these as well. They're a great cookie jar filler and I haven't met anyone who doesn't like them. You can either roll them out thin like I do to make them crispy  for dunking them in your tea or a bit thicker, like Granny Ossinger did, to make them soft. Enjoy!

1 cup molasses
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening or lard
5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup boiling water
2 heaping teaspoons ginger
bake in 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. 






1 comment

  1. I love a good molasses cookie! Will have to try, Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete