Friday, March 22, 2013

100 Cookies

The first question people ask when they hear a new pastor and his wife are coming to minister at their church is: 'does she play the piano?'. I know, because at every church we have ever interviewed for, that is the question which has been posed to us. And, no, I don't play the piano. I can't. I wish I could but I don't have the aptitude for it. But I have never let the inability to do the things others would like me to do stop me from ministering for the Lord. I am a firm believer that God gives talents and gifts of all sorts to all of us and it is up to us to find our speciality and use it for the Lord.

I love to bake and cook meals and entertain and I have used those talents to minister to the people God has placed in my life. What is it that you are good at and enjoy doing? How can you use that ability to bless others in Jesus' name?

Recently I have started a cookie ministry. I like making cookies and just about everyone likes to have a cookie every now and then. We have a church full of caring people who are always willing to help in a time of need and I wanted to have a way to say 'thank you' for all they do, so I make cookies and bless the people the Lord lays on my heart, with a dozen cookies. To date I have given each woman in our church one dozen cookies and now I am blessing the men of the congregation, in the same way. After that, who knows? I'll have to wait on the Lord and see who He wants me to bake for.

I am always looking for new cookie recipes and have recently found this one in an old United Church cookbook a friend let me borrow. It's called '100 Cookies' but it made 110 the first time I made it. I hope you enjoy it!

100 Cookies

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup margarine
1 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
1 cup coconut
1 cup oatmeal
roll into 1 1/2 inch balls and flatten with a fork. Bake in a 350 oven for 12 min. 


1 comment

  1. I think cooking and baking is a wonderful talent! It's something I enjoy so much as well :) and such a nice way to give thanks to someone.. I should take a lesson from your book and use my talent for good as well!!

    ReplyDelete