Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Powerful Words

Proverbs 18:21 teaches us, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” We can see this truth played out all through our life. It's simple, really, when you think about it. Kind words breed warmth of relationship; harsh words breed tension and separation. There are those people who are in constant turmoil in their relationships, That turmoil is like a cancer and will eventually effect every relationship they have unless they learn to control their words.
God's Word tells us that our words are powerful. Yet we use them so carelessly sometimes. I have always believed strongly in the family blessing: speaking words of blessing over your children. It is a practice that is found throughout the Word of God that my husband and I have accepted and performed many times over our own children. It's as simple as speaking words of encouragement and life to them and letting them know that God has a great big plan for them. 
A few years ago the Lord spoke to me and told me to start speaking blessings over all of the children I come in contact with. I knew that not every parent tells their child that they can be a mighty man or woman of God so I determined then to speak these words into every child I met. We are blessed to have quite a few children in our church and over the years I have watched them grow from little babies in their mother's arms to who they are now. I speak blessings over these children. I'm sure their mothers do too but I make sure I commend their good behaviour and when they do something Christlike I applaud them. Sometimes it is that recognition that spurs a child on to even greater goals of serving the Lord and others. 
My words are not vain flattery but they are intentional. I have seen children blossom under well deserved encouragement and begin to show a glimpse of the man or woman of God they can become. Words are important. They're not something to be thrown around carelessly. They should be chosen wisely and given out carefully. They should be words of life not death. In other words, say something positive not negative. 
I have always loved this poem and I hope you will take the time to read it through. Bless someone today by speaking words of encouragement to them and watch the Lord work through your words to do great things in that person's life. God bless. 

CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE
Dorothy Law Nolte
If a child lives with criticism,
he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility,
he learns to fight.
If a child lives with fear,
he learns to be apprehensive.
If a child lives with pity,
he learns to feel sorry for himself.
If a child lives with ridicule,
he learns to be shy.
If a child lives with jealousy,
he learns what envy is.
If a child lives with shame,
he learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with encouragement,
he learns to be confident.
If a child lives with tolerance,
he learns to be patient.
If a child lives with praise,
he learns to be appreciative.
If a child lives with acceptance,
he learns to love.
If a child lives with approval,
he learns to like himself.
If a child lives with recognition,
he learns that it is good to have a goal.
If a child lives with sharing,
he learns about generosity.
If a child lives with honesty and fairness,
he learns what truth and justice are.
If a child lives with security,
he learns to have faith in himself and in those about him.
If a child lives with friendliness,
he learns that the world is a nice place in which to live.
If you live with serenity,
your child will live with peace of mind.

Post a Comment