Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Standing Alone....Again

"Take no part in the worthless pleasures of evil and darkness, but instead, rebuke and expose them." Ephesians 5:11

At no other time of year am I reminded that there are times when I will stand alone, as I am at this time of year. I cannot celebrate Halloween even though other Christians are, other pastors and their families are, everyone else is. I just can't reconcile it with the Word. If someone could show me where it lines up with Scripture I will change my stand but I cannot understand how I can stand before God some day and say that I ignored His instruction in His Word and celebrated a 'holiday' which promotes darkness, death and fear.

I know that my standpoint is an unpopular one. Most people just ignore me at this time of year. I get people giving me excuses as to why they celebrate Halloween as if they have to justify their actions to me. They most certainly do not. In fact, if they feel there is nothing wrong with it, why defend their choices to me at all? I won't list all of the excuses I have heard because you've probably heard them too. But I will say this: no, there is probably nothing wrong with a small child dressing up in a non-scary costume but where do you draw the line as that child grows up?

 As humans we are always looking to push the bar a little farther and just a little farther still. We're not content with staying at the same place, we always want a little more and so we push. This is a problem as old as Adam and Eve. They weren't content to have every other tree but one, in the garden, they had to have the one that was forbidden to touch as well. Satan knows this and he is looking for any foothold he can have in our lives.

We may start out innocently dipping our toe in the mud puddle but after awhile we're not content with that so we splash both feet in. When our daughter was born someone gave her a bikini as a baby shower gift. I never put it on her. I wanted to raise our daughter to be modest, and she is. I thought if I put a bikini on her now when do I say 'now you have to wear a one piece bathing suit?' I never had to face that problem because she always wore a one piece and never wanted to wear a bikini. 

In the same vein, if I allow my child to celebrate Halloween, at what point do I say 'no that's too evil'. An innocent little princess costume isn't the problem but what about ghosts and goblins and witches and scary movies and zombies? As a Christian, where do you draw the line once the line has been blurred? 

I know I don't have a popular subject and I know that I will probably stand alone on this but I would much rather avoid Halloween and have the Lord tell me that I could have celebrated it than to celebrate it and be judged for it. 

What sorrow for those who say that evil is good and good is evil, that dark is light and light is dark, that bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter. Isaiah 5:20

"'I will set my face against anyone who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute themselves by following them, and I will cut them off from their people. Lev. 20:6

Post a Comment