Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Love in a Pan: Simple Frittata

I made a simple frittata tonight for supper and thought I would share it with you. I call it 'love in a pan' because my husband loves it and since I love him, I know I will enjoy making it for him in the future.This is what you will need for the basic recipe:
1 lb bacon
4 cups diced raw potatoes (I used 2 lrg))
1 doz eggs
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Fry the bacon until it is crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan but keep the grease. Add the potatoes to the grease (no this is not a Weight Watcher's recipe). Cook the potatoes until tender. This takes about 10 min. Drain the potatoes and discard the grease. Spread the potatoes over the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Crumble the cooked bacon and spread evenly over the potatoes. Crack one dozen eggs into a bowl and whisk. Pour the eggs over everything in the skillet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the cheese. Return it to the oven for 5 more minutes. Let stand 3-5 minutes before cutting into slices and serving. 

Now, here's the fun part: this is just the basic recipe. You can add a handful of spinach to your frittata when you add the eggs if you want something different. You can also add, peppers, onions, corn, mushrooms and whatever you can imagine. Get creative and enjoy. You might be tempted to skip the part of the instructions where I told you to cook your potatoes in the bacon grease, but please don't because the bacon scrapings cling to the potatoes and give them the most wonderful flavour. And besides...everything is better in bacon grease.

I have posted some pictures below. I hope you enjoy Love in a Pan!


Cook your bacon until it is crisp. (Needless to say this is not crisp in the picture.)


Peel, dice and wash your potatoes.


Grate your cheese (I used marble).


Frying the potatoes in the bacon grease. Do you see the bacon scrapings on the potatoes?


Before it goes in the oven.


VOILA! It's finished!




Post a Comment