Wednesday, June 29, 2016

I Shall Not Be, I Shall Not Be Moved

As a child in Sunday School I sang a little chorus that went like this:
I shall not be
I shall not be moved.
I shall not be,
I shall not be moved.
Just like a tree that's planted by the water
Lord, I shall not be moved.

I may have first learned this as a child but it has held me in good stead many, many times over the years.when the enemy whispers in my ear to give up. I sing I Shall Not Be Moved. When it seems that everything that could go wrong does go wrong....you guessed it: I Shall Not Be Moved. 

I will not be moved away from trusting God. Even if it looks bleak, I will still trust Him. A month ago, on May 29, our 25 yr old son died in his sleep. He wasn't in Canada at the time so getting his body back for burial was a trial. Finally he was buried on June 7th, a full eight days later! The waiting during that time and the shock of his death took its toll on us. My husband is a pastor and felt he should do the funeral service. There were well over 200 people at the funeral and he shook the hand of every single person who passed by him at the door. 

By the following Sunday he was getting sick. We prayed and tried home remedies and finally we went to the emergency department of the local hospital. After undergoing tests the doctor appeared at the door and told him that not only did he have strep throat and thrush but he was also a 'severe' diabetic. At this point we had a choice: we could give in to despair and discouragement or we could choose to trust God. I shall not be, I shall not be moved.

There are those who don't walk with God or walk closely to Him who have wondered how can we bear up under the weight of these trials. The answer is God. He gives us grace to make it through the day. Our van needed a costly repair this week. Just another thing to go wrong. But we trust in a God Who is higher than all our troubles and He has not failed me yet, nor will He. 

Brad is gaining back his health. We are both eating a diabetic meal plan and enjoying it. We went for a walk together today for the first time in a long time. We cleaned up the dead flowers from our son's grave and held each other while we grieved. We did it together and talked about how God is bringing us through. The van got fixed and is running good again. Life goes on and we choose to walk that pathway with God because He is good. Through it all, He is good.

I read a quote today that fits our circumstances perfectly. "Trials are not our destination they are our journey." Yes, we will have trials because we live in a sinful world but God will always bring us through them. He is the Rock we hold on to. He will not see us fail, if we hold on to Him. But it's a choice. I choose not to be moved away from His side. No matter what comes my way I will hold on to God's hand. I shall not be moved.

James 1:12 ESV 

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love Him.



Post a Comment