Sunday, July 31, 2016

The Final Word

From the time our children were old enough to understand words and their meaning I taught them all about the word "obey". I explained to them the Scripture "to obey is better than sacrifice" (1Samuel 15:22). I knew that a child who does not obey those in authority over them may someday find themselves in a life or death situation due to disobedience. Furthermore a child who does not obey their parents will have a hard time learning to obey God. I wanted to protect my children and point them towards God so I taught them to obey. They knew that when Mama spoke she meant it. I had the final word.

I have always been fiercely protective of my children not only physically but spiritually as well. I know that the enemy of our souls "goes about as a roaring lion seeking whom he can devour" (1Peter 5:8). I never wanted it to be my kids he devoured or lead astray. So I armed my kids with the weapons they need to stand up in battle against Satan. From an early age I taught them to pray in every situation and to read God's Word. I taught them to seek God's will for their life and to always obey Him and I led my little army by example. I fought battles for them on my knees. 

My word might have been final with my kids but in the whole realm of God's kingdom, He has the final say and I must obey my Commander-In-Chief. On May 29th my Commander called our son Matthew home. I didn't want to lose part of my little army but God pulled rank and promoted Matthew. To say I miss him is a gross understatement but I can't and don't want to wish him back. 

When I think of all the stories I taught my kids about heaven and the army of God's angels and what heaven is like, how could I not be pleased knowing that Matthew is now part of all that. I know the Word tells us that there is coming a day when God will return to fight the final battle. He'll be seated on a white horse and the host of heaven will be with him, mounted as well, and Satan will be defeated once and for all. (Rev. 19). Matthew will be a part of that! My son! He will get to live out all of these stories I've told him for years. That's exciting for me.

As parents we need to be fiercely protective of our children, especially in the spiritual sense. We need to stand between them and a world that would corrupt them and tear them away from God. We need to be warriors of the faith and not have the attitude that there is nothing we can do. Yes there is! We can purposely teach our children about God. We can fight the enemy on our knees in prayer. And we can build up our own faith so we can stand strong and not falter when trials come our way. And above all we can teach them to obey God. Even when His ways are not our ways, we can still trust Him and rely on the fact that He has the final word.

2Corinthians 10: 3-5. 3For though we live in the flesh, we do not wage war according to the flesh. The weapons of our warfare are not the weapons of the world. Instead, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5We tear down arguments, and every presumption set up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.…









Post a Comment