Friday, January 14, 2011

The Intents of the Heart

Sometimes our words or our actions can be misunderstood depending on many factors. Sometimes how something is received depends on the tone it was delivered in. Sometimes it depends on whether the person we are speaking to is engaged and actually paying attention. There can be many times that the intent of our heart is not understood. We could have pure intentions but allow our hurt to cloud the words of our mouth so instead of coming out of our mouth sounding hurt, the words actually sound angry. Sometimes hurt disguises itself as anger, but the person receiving the words doesn't know that and hurt feelings can ensue.

I have always hoped and prayed that the people I come in contact with would give me the benefit of the doubt and see my heart. I try to do the same for them. I learned this from my Nanny. Nanny Stephens was always giving people the benefit of the doubt, making excuses for them. If someone was speeding, she'd say they must be in a hurry to get home. If someone was cranky, she'd say they were overtired. If someone was using bad language, she'd say 'oh the poor thing, wasn't brought up'. She always had an excuse for everyone why they didn't act the way they should. I think that's a good policy and would solve a world of trouble.

Just imagine if those  you come in contact with on an every day basis were given the benefit of the doubt. Think of the road rage that would stop. Think of the gestures and sarcasm that could be avoided. We would live in a more genteel world. Life would be less stressful.

The Word of God tells us in Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." It's a reminder to me that only God knows exactly what is in someone's heart. Only He knows my thoughts and attitudes and since it is only Him who knows exactly what I mean when I say it, I have to be careful how I say things so that they can't be misconstrued and potentially cause harm to those receiving my words.

I want to reflect Christ in everything I say and do. It's an ongoing process. I am not always successful but I'm working on it with His help. He knows I have good intentions and He will help me on my journey. He will help you on yours too. God bless.

1 comment

  1. I think you represent this very well. Always ready with a kind heart and the love of Christ. Oh, if we could all be slow to react and quick to see through the eyes of Christ. A great place to start work on me. :)

    ReplyDelete