Saturday, May 7, 2011

Yard Sales

We have always enjoyed searching for treasures at yard sales and it's amazing what you can find sometimes. When we lived in Riverview, New Brunswick and had a young family, yard sales were a great source for baby clothes, toys and all kinds of things that made our budget easier. When our oldest moved out into his first parsonage and needed furniture, yard sales proved to be the answer to his problem. Sometimes there is no great need that has to be fulfilled but it is still fun going from sale to sale as if we are on a treasure hunt.

One particular yard sale adventure came to my mind today and I want to share it with you. I was seven or eight months pregnant with our first baby and although it was getting harder to get in and out of the low sports car that we owned, I still wanted to spend our Saturday yard sale-ing. So Friday night Brad took the newspaper and searched the yard sale ads for locations and then made a list, putting them in order so as to maximize how many we could possibly get to before they closed up for the day.

The next day we picked Mom up by 7:30 AM and with list in hand, we started on our adventure. Mom asked me what I was hoping to find and I told her that I would love to have wall paper for our rec room. I prayed that if it be the Lord's will that I find the wall paper that the Lord would provide it for us. I needed ten double rolls of wall paper.....

I mentioned before that we drove a sports car and of course it was only a two door, so each time we stopped at a yard sale I would have to climb out of the back seat. After several hours of doing this I was getting pretty tired to say the least. But being true treasure seekers and knowing there were still yard sales we had not got to yet, we continued. Around lunch time we had been to 30 yard sales... yes, 30! (Did I mention that I was very pregnant??) I was ready to give up, but Mom said that there was only one more on the list and maybe that was the one where the Lord would bless me with the wall paper I needed. At this point I didn't really care about the wall paper, but my Mom was enthusiastic so we went to the last one.

You might have guessed by now, but I will tell you anyway. The Lord did bless me with the ten rolls of wall paper that I needed from that yard sale. As we drove up the driveway I noticed rolls of wall paper in a box under one of the tables. I eagerly climbed out of the back seat for one final time and fairly ran to the box. I bought the whole box for $2.00!!! Brad put it up on the walls the next week and it looked so nice. God even cared about me getting wall paper. He cares about the details of our life.

What are you seeking? What is it that you are searching for? What treasure do you hope to find? The greatest treasure you could ever find is a relationship with God. I don't mean just knowing who He is but personally knowing Him. Talking with Him every day and trusting Him with your life. We've all heard stories of people who have bought something at a flea market or a yard sale for just a few dollars and have found out later that it is worth a fortune. That is a great success story of treasure hunting. But let me tell you that if you truly seek the Lord, He will be found by you. He is the greatest treasure you could ever find.

But if ... you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

Post a Comment