Sunday, October 23, 2011

Help Me Live It

Keith Green wrote a beautiful song called "Oh, Lord You're Beautiful" that I have always loved. Just take a moment and read the lyrics and let them sink into your heart as they have mine.



Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.

I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just, live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.

Oh Lord, please light the fire,
That once burned bright and clean.
Replace the lamp of my first love,
That burns with Holy fear.

I love the words to the second verse: "I want to take your Word and shine it all around. But first help me to just, live it Lord." How true these words are! We cannot possibly expect to preach the Gospel until the lives that we are living are preaching it for us. If we are speaking one way and preaching another, we will have no respect given to us and in fact our message will not be heard. 

If I see a hungry person and I tell them Jesus loves you and go on my way, I have not helped them, nor have I shown them the Gospel in action. If we are to tell people that Jesus loves them, as His ambassadors we need to SHOW them that He cares. We need to reach out in love to all those around us.

I think sometimes our 'lamp' goes out because we've not tended the flame. We lose our passion for the Lord when the eyes of our heart turn inward to ourselves instead of outward to a lost and dying world. When Jesus was here on earth He wasn't concerned with Himself, He sought to help others and that should be our main goal as well. 

So Lord help me live a life that is pleasing to you. Let me honour you with everything I say and do and let me be Your hands extended to this world. May people know I am a Christian before I have to say it. May they see my life and know I am a child of the King before I ever need to use words to tell them. 

Post a Comment