Friday, October 14, 2011

She Still Needs Me

Two days ago I had surgery and today our daughter, Alannah, did as well. After putting up with recurring pain which no one could explain, for two years, the doctor discovered that she had to have her gall bladder removed. Last night she bravely told me that I didn't have to go with her, when she went for surgery,  that she would have her 'Dadda' and I should stay home to recuperate.

 I had a different idea about that. I told her that after she has her daughter and that daughter is facing surgery and she is told to stay home, then she could tell me not to be there with her because then she would understand that a team of wild horses wouldn't keep me from being there when she needed me. She's my daughter and as long as I am living and drawing breath I will be there for her.

When Alannah woke up in the recovery room the first thing she said was 'can I have my Mama?'. At seventeen years old she still needs me and that feels good. I may not always be able to be there for her but I hope that I will. I can't fix every hurt or kiss every boo boo away but I sure can try.

 Truth be told, two days ago, when I had my surgery, I wished that I had my Mom with me too. When I got home she called me and it was so good to hear her say 'hi honey, Mom's here'. My Mom has Parkinsons's Disease and there have been many changes to her life because of it but underneath all of the changes she is still my Mom and I still, at 49 yrs old, need her.

 It is difficult for her to travel very far any more but she and Dad made the hour long trip to bring supper to us tonight because they wanted to see their girls. I am blessed. Not only do I have a beautiful daughter who needs me, but I have a wonderful Mom who has always been there for me.

1 comment

  1. very touching, hope u and ur daughter recuperate as fast as possible.

    thanks for sharing, now i appreciate my mother more and i pray that she will be there for me for many more years.....also, made me resolve to struggle to be there for my daughter always.

    bless u mama!

    ReplyDelete