Thursday, November 17, 2011

Jealousy

We know from Scripture that jealousy is wrong. We should never be jealous of anyone and we know that God hates jealousy. Over the years I have always taught that jealousy doesn't hurt the person you are jealous of but it does hurt you. Just like a cancer that starts off small and grows, if left unchecked, until it consumes your whole body, so does jealousy tend to take over your whole life. However, I was recently corrected of my way of thinking and have now since changed my opinion. I would like to amend my teaching now to say this: jealousy not only hurts you but it can hurt the person your jealousy is directed towards too. Not to the same extent but it does break and sever any possible chance of relationship and the loss of that relationship does bring pain.


I recently spent an evening with a person who has been jealous, my her own admission, of me for all of my life. No matter how much I point out to her that her life is good and she has no need to be jealous of mine, it doesn't stop the jealousy. Over the years I have seen that jealousy turn from a minor annoyance to something ugly: hatred. Jealousy is all consuming. It will take over your life until you can't see straight to see the facts for what they are. And jealousy spreads to family members and those around you. It's an ugly thing. 


I used to say 'oh well, that's her problem, not mine', but it has become my problem when I am hurt anew by it each time I am in contact with her. I grieve the loss of relationship. I long for the love and friendship that should be there. Jealousy has cost us dearly. 


Who knows how jealousy starts? I believe Satan plants a tiny seed in our hearts and over the years he nurtures it and causes it to grow and like any bad weed that isn't pulled out, it eventually chokes out all the good plants in the garden. If you have a tiny seed of jealousy growing in your heart, get rid of it today. It isn't godly in the least and it will cost you a great price. If you have a full grown jealousy plant deeply rooted in your garden, pull it up and ask God to help you burn it until it is no more. 


Jealousy is a sin. Plain and simple. Sin cannot enter Heaven. Search your heart and root out any weeds that may be growing there, not only will they hurt you but they will hurt your family and those around you dearly too. 




Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord. Song of Solomon 8:6.


 

A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot. Proverbs 14:30



“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.” Exodus 20:17




But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. James 3:14-15




Wrath is cruel, anger is overwhelming, but who can stand before jealousy? Proverbs 27:4











Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.  Galatians 5:19-21

Post a Comment