Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Before Everyone Else

I like being the first one up in the morning. I like the quiet of the house. It's usually just me sitting in my chair, reading the Word or typing, with one of the dogs snoring nearby on the couch. It's my time of solitude. In the winter, I get the kerosene heater started and watch its warm glow begin to heat the house. In the summer time I listen to the birds as they begin to greet the day. 

Early morning is a time of quiet reflection. A time to be alone. A time to pray. A time before everyone else begins their day. It's a good time. Some people can't stand early mornings. Oh, they despise them and groan if they're awakened too early and roll back over in their bed and try to snatch a few more minutes of precious sleep. Others will set their alarm for the last possible minute before they have to wash and dress and dash out the door on their way to a busy day. But I like my quiet, slow early mornings. I don't feel hurried even though I know I have a busy day ahead of me. I have time to prepare myself before the rush begins. 

"In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." Psalm 5:3 

"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where He prayed." Mark 1:35 

Early mornings. For some, those words make them shudder. For others, those words speak such peace.  In the Word we see that Jesus also saw the early morning to be an important time to get alone with His Father. 

"At daybreak Jesus went out to a solitary place." Luke 4:42 

The King of Kings, the LORD of Lords, the Son of God found it necessary to get alone with His Father early in the morning. He had a busy day ahead with lots of people clamoring for His attention. How much more do I need to follow His example. As a homemaker and helpmate for my husband, who is a pastor, there are not too many minutes in my day to be alone with Him, except in the early morning. So in His Word He has given me an example to follow by His Son in the verse above and also by the virtuous wife in Proverbs 31. 
"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." Proverbs 31:14 

It's not always easy to get out of a warm bed, before everyone else is awake, and start your day. But if you do you will be laying a solid foundation for that day. Starting off early will give you ample time to read the Word and to pray. It will also buy you precious minutes should your schedule go off track. Getting up early and having that quiet time with the Lord will set the pace for your day. But getting up early takes practice. At first you'll be tired and wonder why you ever thought to try this. But if you are diligent in your efforts, they will show reward. 


 Holy, Holy, Holy :
Verse 1:
Holy, holy, holy
Lord God almighty
Early in the morning my song shall rise to thee
Holy. holy, holy
Merciful and mighty
God in three persons, blessed Trinity

Verse 2:
Holy, holy, holy
All the saints adore Thee
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea
All the cherubim and seraphim are falling down before Thee
Which wert and art and evermore shalt be

Verse 3:
Holy, holy, holy
Though the darkness hide Thee
Though the eyes of sinful man Thy glory may not see
Lord, only Thou art holy and there is none beside Thee
Perfect in power, in love and purity

Verse 4:
Holy, holy, holy
Lord God almighty
All Thy works shall praise Thy name in earth and sky and sea
Holy, holy, holy
Merciful and mighty
You are God in three persons, blessed Trinity
You are God in three persons, blessed Trinity
Oh, God in three persons, blessed Trinity





Post a Comment