Monday, October 1, 2012

Tired of Crying






Psalm 31:9-16

9 Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress;
my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
my soul and body with grief.
10
my strength fails because of my affliction,
and my bones grow weak.
14 But I trust in you, Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
15 My times are in your hands;
16 Let your face shine on your servant;
save me in your unfailing love.
Psalms 147:3 
He heals the broken heartened, binding up their wounds.

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing that anyone can say that will help heal the hurt that we feel. We cry and cry until our eyes hurt from crying and we have a headache. We feel sick in our bodies and worse in our spirits. We see no end in sight for our grief. The Psalmist understood this and felt the same way. He had made himself sick with grief. He was so sorrowful that he had stopped eating. His bones grew weak. So what did he do? He turned to the Lord and asked for mercy.

He knew that his help would come from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth (Psalm 121:5-6). He knew who to turn to in his time of distress. After he had turned to the Lord you can almost see how he started to feel better. In verse 14 he says that important word... 'but'. 'But', a turning point in his thinking. 'But' where hopelessness meets hope. 'But' I will trust in you, Lord. 'My times are in your hands'. 

The Psalmist knew that only God can understand our sorrow. Only He can heal our broken hearts and bind up our wounds. Only He knows all things including the beginning from the ending. Only He knows our future and where He wants us to go. Only He can teach us and mold us into something beautiful for His kingdom. 

The sorrows and trials which we face will all be used by Him to shape us into His likeness. Yes, it hurts and so we cry but we know that He only has plans for good for us (Jeremiah 29) so we can trust Him to do what is right. You may be tired of crying right now. You may see no hope, no chance that this situation will ever have something good come out of it, but let me encourage you to say 'but' I will trust you Lord. Let me encourage you to hold on to His promises and to allow Him to dry your eyes.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May He make His face shine upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24)

1 comment