Friday, September 21, 2012

Fixing Up

As most of you know, a little over a year ago, we bought an old house. We've learned to fix things and build things and improve things usually with very little or no money at all. This week was no exception. Our laundry room is on the end of the house and seems to get all the wind from the ocean. Last year we put insulation over both of the windows and sprayed foam insulation around the unused outside door. It was still cold in there. 

So this week we took off the storm window from the drafty window and put it on the better of the two. Then we insulated and boarded up the poor window. Then we did the same to the door. A lady in our church had put new vinyl siding on her house and gave us some pieces of her old white siding. We had more than enough to cover both areas. I was so pleased! It's a different kind of siding but its still white. I want to cover both areas, in the spring, with white vinyl lattice and plant a red vine to grow up it. 

When we were finished, my husband and I walked to the end of the driveway to look at the job we had done. We were pleased! My husband put his arms around me and there in the driveway he kissed me. The neighbors probably saw us. Our oldest son yelled out 'get a room' and we all laughed. I'm glad our kids have grown up seeing us kissing and being tender with each other. I pray it has stood them in good stead and they will repeat it when they're married. 

So many people are embarrassed by displays of affection  and I never understood why, but I think the reason is that they've never seen it on a regular basis so it's not the norm for them. My husband still holds my hand even after either dating or being married to me for almost 32 years. We like being together. We miss each other when we're away from each other for very long. Now that our kids are all getting ready to leave the nest we're discovering that we still love each other and we're looking forward to being together as a couple again instead of parents who are needed all the time. 

Proverbs 5:18 tells us to 'rejoice in the wife of your youth'. I'm glad that my husband and I started dating when we were 17, almost 18. He has been with me and known me since my youth. He has seen me at my best and at my worst and he still loves me. I know he loves me because he not only tells me but he shows me  Sometimes I feel like our old house, this needs to be fixed or that needs improvement, but I'm glad that my husband still rejoices in the wife of his youth. He sees me, not what I need to fix. 

In a world where eyes seem to wander once the flower of youth has faded, I'm glad that I have a godly man for a husband who has eyes only for me. Let me encourage you, if you are young and haven't found that special someone to share your life with, choose wisely and carefully and commit yourself to them. Realize that you will change over the years but your love for each other doesn't have to diminish but can grow stronger. If you have been married for awhile and feel like the spark is no longer there, do some 'fixing up', do some repair work.  I wouldn't get rid of my old house just because its no longer fancy and new, neither would I get rid of my husband who has stood faithfully by my side all these years. 

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. (1 John 4:7-8)

Post a Comment