Monday, October 22, 2012

Dog Treats

Several years ago I took a dog biscuit out of the box to give to our dog when I felt something sharp sticking out of the side. I'm not sure what it was, it felt like wire but could have been anything. Needless to say I promptly threw the box out and have never bought another one. Since that day I have been making homemade dog treats for our furry babies. They're easy to make and I know everything that is in them, so I know they're safe. I hope you enjoy making them for your 'babies' too!

Dog Treats

3 cups flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
1 cup grated cheese (I use cheddar)
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1/2 cup bacon fat
1 egg
1 cup milk

put all ingredients into a stainless steel or glass bowl  and stir together. (I use my hands). Roll dough on floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Use dog bone shaped cookie cutter or cut into strips 1/2 inch x 3 inches long. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 350  degree oven for 30-40 min. or until crisp. Best left in oven to cool and crisp overnight unless you have three dogs crying for them while you make them, like I do. 

Post a Comment