Thursday, February 11, 2016

Changing Around The Livingroom

I happen to be blessed with a good sized living room. It's 19 feet long by 11 feet wide. So you'd think that I'd have no problem in changing the arrangement of our furniture, but I do. Our living room has two windows and four doorways and therein lies the problem. After living here for almost five years I can tell you there is only one way to arrange the furniture but that doesn't stop me from trying.

While my husband was out of the house for a meeting this morning I decided, even though I knew better, to change around the living room. This is no small task when you have a huge TV sitting on a stand which houses a fireplace insert, two over stuffed recliners, a recliner couch, a grandfather clock, rocking chair and three side tables. Everything got moved to its new spot and I sat down to survey my handiwork ( and to take a drink of water) and.......it didn't work.

Oh it would work fine if we were two antisocial hermits who never had anyone come to visit. The two of us had our chairs perfectly situated for TV viewing as well as talking....but our backs were to the couch. It didn't work. After a break, I moved everything back to its original spot.

As I sit here writing this I'm tired. I've wasted over an hour of my day doing something I knew wouldn't work. My muscles are sore. My back is reminding me that it's not my strongest asset and I've accomplished nothing more than sweeping up the dust bunnies from under the couch.

I'm reminded though that this is exactly what we do every time we insist on doing things our own way even though we know in our heart that God's way is better. Isaiah 55:9 tells us that His ways are higher than our ways, so you'd think we'd learn. But, no, we stubbornly do things our way, hoping they'll work out and then wonder why we have no joy, no peace and no contentment. Our way doesn't work. My living room only works one way. Our lives only work the way they are supposed to work when we live them one way: God's way. God bless.

1 comment

  1. My living room is the same. Only one way works. Sometimes when I am feeling a change instead of moving everything around I'll add in a piece of decor that I might of packed away, a new candle, or a different color throw. Subtle changes, but it soothes the desire for change.

    ReplyDelete