Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Cracker Candy

A few years ago a friend gave me a Christmas gift of Cracker Candy. I had never had it before, or even heard of it, but oh my it was good. Being the chocolate lover that I am, I think it's somehow wrong to only make something this good at Christmastime. I think this should be a year round treat. So here is the recipe: (make and enjoy)

CRACKER CANDY

1 tube Saltine crackers with salted tops
1 cup butter ( not margarine)
1 cup+2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup walnuts
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cookie sheet
Aluminum foil
Vegetable oil spray

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheet with foil. Spray foil with vegetable spray. Line pan with crackers in single layer. Set aside. 
Place butter and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes. Pour over crackers. Spread mixture with a spoon so that all crackers are covered. Bake in 350 oven for 5 minutes. 
Remove from oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Loosely cover with foil for a few minutes do chips melt. Spread chocolate to cover entire surface. Sprinkle with nuts. (I used peppermint chips as a garnish in addition to the nuts)
Place in freezer for a minimum of 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and break apart. Place pieces in an airtight container and store in the fridge.


Post a Comment