Friday, March 11, 2016

My Heart Is Safe With Him

It has occurred to me that many of you may not know my hubby. I often speak of him in my blog but I don't think I have ever written a post solely about him. I first met him when we were both in grade eight. I was walking to school one day when suddenly I was pushed into the snow and someone was 'washing my face' in the snow. You guessed it...it was him. (He says he doesn't remember this at all).  I walked home that day, crying because I was wet and cold and mad. When I got home my father was packing for a business trip. When I told him what happened his response was that Brad had done that because he liked me. I didn't think so at the time and I certainly didn't like him.

Fast forward a few years and things changed. During grade 12 we became good friends. He was funny and always made me laugh. One day he was teasing me in the school hallway so I told him to 'just drop dead!'. His response? He did! Well not really but he did fall flat on his face. I laughed and laughed and I knew then that I liked him more than just a friend. We were on the bowling team together and continued to grow our friendship but we didn't start dating until after graduation. 

Oct. 13, 1980 was our first date. We went to the Capital theatre in Moncton to see the movie Somewhere In Time with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve. Sitting in the beautiful theatre with its gilded ceiling and heavy velvet drapes, my date proceeded to roll Licorice Goodies ( a candy) down the  aisle, just to make me laugh.

We married almost five years later on May 11, 1985. He has always looked out for me. He always has my back. I feel safe and protected with him. But I think if I had to choose one quality, of his, which defines him more than any other I would say it's his intregity. He's honest. He does the right thing and I can count on him. 

I'm so thankful he's mine. He is a godly man. He regularly spends time in prayer and the Word and is always studying to become a better pastor, husband and father. To Brad, after his relationship with God, family is everything. And I love him for that.

Life with Brad has always been an adventure. He listens to all my crazy ideas and asks me 'how strongly do you feel about it?' and if I do feel strongly, then we go for it. If it fails he never once has said we shouldn't have done it or tried. He never blames me. He loves me deeply and proves it over and over again. I'm blessed.

I can't adequately sum up who this guy is that I fell in love with almost 36 yrs ago in one short blog post but I thought I'd share some of him with you. I can trust him to be there for me, always. He is my friend, husband and pastor too. My heart is safe with him. 


Post a Comment