Monday, May 30, 2016

He's Free

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee."
-Charles Wesley

Our son, Matthew, posted this on his Facebook status update three days before he died. 

Today I got the phone call every parent dreads. Our son, our baby boy, my "Ma-moo" was dead. I can't even begin to explain the shock or the pain we are feeling. I can't believe that I'll never hear his teasing or tormenting or have him at the supper table telling stories to make everyone laugh and choke. It's just not possible that he's not here. But I am comforted to know that I will see him again. I have this blessed assurance that he is in the presence of the Lord. Matthew had so many plans for his life and he was living out his dream, but God had another plan and Matthew got his reward much earlier than any of us thought he would. At 25 he died in his sleep. I wish he didn't have to go quite yet but I know the Lord looked at him and said "well done my good and faithful servant". My heart is aching for my boy but I am so proud of the man he became and I know I will see him one day.
I WILL see him again. I love you Ma-moo.

1 comment

  1. Dear Laurie;
    As everybody who ever knew you and your family and even those who didn`t know you are grieving with you today, I am so thrilled, for want of a better word, to see the words of Charles Wesley at the beginning of your heart-revealing blog. This song, And Can It Be, has long been one of my favourites and there isn`t another song anywhere that expresses the freedom from sin and the enjoyment of God`s wonderful provision in salvation, in my estimation. That Matthew would choose this one particular piece of beautiful inspired poetry to enjoy during his last days on this earth just fills my heart with joy and hope. He is experiencing what we can only imagine! God bless and know that you are all loved and are being held before the throne in the days ahead. Much love, Margaret Williams

    ReplyDelete