Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Last Time


This is a picture of my husband and I with our son, Matthew. It was taken at our daughter's graduation, one month before he died. Little did we know then that one month later he would be gone. He went to sleep one night and woke up in Heaven. Now, just over two weeks since his passing, I still can't comprehend that I'll never see him again on this earth. It just doesn't seem possible. 

But no matter how much my heart and brain want to reject it, the fact remains that this is reality. We read in the Bible that our "life is but a vapour" and that our days are numbered but we don't live as if those statements are true. We always think we have tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the day I start my diet. Tomorrow will be the day I start reading my Bible. Tomorrow I'll be more patient. Tomorrow I'll hold my tongue. Tomorrow I'll kick that bad habit. Tomorrow I'll commit to serving the Lord. But what if tomorrow is not in God's plan for your life? 

What if you were to close your eyes in death tonight? What would you have left undone? Would you have any regrets? What words would you wish you had spoken? What would you wish you had more time to do? We waste so much time on things that don't matter and we put off doing the things that are most important. 

Our son was 25 years old. If a 25 year old can just go to sleep and never wake up on this earth, it can happen to anyone. Let me encourage you to get your priorities straight. Matthew had his in order so he was ready to go.

Here are a few pointers to get you started:
1. Make it right with God....now. Repent of your sins and follow God. Yes, I know that's blunt but in the whole scheme of things, this is the most important thing you will ever do. Even if you live to be 100 years old eternity is forever and the decision to follow God will determine where you will spend eternity.

2. Make it right with your loved ones. Give forgiveness...even if they're not sorry. Ask for forgiveness for things you've done wrong. Tell them what they mean to you and treat them like the gift they are to you. What if today was their last day? 

3. Treat others with kindness. Everyone you meet. Yes, everyone.

4. Do something to make a difference in the world. Make a mark to make this world a little better than it was before you got here. 

5. Stop putting off the things you should do or want to do. You don't know if you have tomorrow.

I could go on and on but I think you can finish prioritizing your own life. Ask God for His help and direction and He will be there for you. God bless.

Post a Comment