Monday, December 6, 2010

First Snow

I woke up this morning and could hear one of the wires leading into the house banging against the siding. I knew we had a pretty strong wind and I don't know why I thought it but I knew that when I opened the window blind I would find snow on the ground. Sure enough I did. Not much but it was there. Winter has begun..... Not one of my favourite seasons but it has a purpose just like every other season does so I will get myself braced for it and keep telling myself 'this too shall pass'.

Oh I know there are so many lovely things about winter that winter enthusiasts will tell me I should get out there and enjoy but to be honest, I don't want to ski, or snowshoe or skate or go sledding. Lest you think I am a total spoil sport, I do enjoy hearing the snow crunch under my boots as I walk on that crunchy sort of snow and I love it when the whole world outside my window is covered with a beautiful blanket of white and the sun is shinning. Yes, I love those things. I love the way the spruce trees will get draped in soft billowy blankets of snow and their branches almost touch the ground.

I love seeing the 'diamonds' reflecting in the snow when the sun shines across the surface and I love the crispness of the air and how still it can be sometimes when the normal sounds of spring, summer and fall are silenced by winter. I do love those parts of winter. I love seeing unmarked fields with fresh fallen snow on them or even the tiny footprints of mice or rabbits being the only thing to mar their perfection.

No matter what season we find ourselves in we can see the beauty of the earth which God created for us if we care to look for it. Job 37:5-6 says:

5 God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways;
   he does great things beyond our understanding.
6 He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth,’
   and to the rain shower, ‘Be a mighty downpour.’
God is in control of whether or not we have snow. He has created it and because of that it is beautiful. Enjoy your first snow whenever it comes your way and know that God has blessed you with a beautiful earth.

Post a Comment