Friday, December 3, 2010

Let Everything That Hath Breath Praise The Lord

Psalm 150:1-6 says: " Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD."

As I read this psalm I was reminded once again that there are many ways to praise the Lord. And it doesn't really matter how we praise Him as long as we do. In our busy world we cannot be in church every day of the week, yet we can still praise Him. We don't have to wait for Sunday to have our praise time with the Lord.

We need to be consciously looking for opportunties to praise Him. I believe we praise the Lord by living a life that honors Him. We praise Him when we give a soft answer in response to an attack. We praise Him when we turn conversations that are going wrong, around to the things of the Lord. We praise Him when we show a kindness to someone who has wronged us.

As this psalm starts out it even tells us some of the things we need to be praising the Lord for. We need to praise Him for His mighty acts and for His greatness. Those things alone could keep us praising for years to come but then it goes on to say some of the ways we can praise Him. When I read about the instruments that are mentioned I can picture a beautiful celebration of praise with everyone playing their instrument not for their own enjoyment but for Him.

I do not play a musical instrument but there are other instruments that the Lord has given me with which I can praise Him. Do I praise Him with my voice? Whether I am singing praise to Him or in my speech. Do my words praise Him? My hands are instruments of praise. Are they busy doing work for Him to bring honor and praise to Him? What about my feet? Do they take me places I would be ashamed for others to know about or are they taking me on the pathway He has set out for me?

No matter what we do we need to do it to the best of our ability and for His honor, in this way we bring praise to Him. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Post a Comment