Thursday, December 2, 2010

Where Did God Come From?

We had Kids Club at church last night and one of my favourite parts of each Kids Club night is our story time. I gather all the children into a circle and we sit down to hear the Bible story. The children of Kids Club are between the ages of four and nine and while they may be fidgity to begin with, once I start telling the story, they pay attention and ask lots of questions (which I love).

Well last night we had to make a story 'oval' in the center aisle instead of a story 'circle' in the front of the church, because the Christmas tree was in the way. The kids got quite a kick out of the fact that we made an oval. I told them the Christmas story of how Mary was really special to God (highly favored) and how the angel came to her and said 'hey Mary' (hail Mary). And how the angel brought a message from God that He wanted her to do something special for Him and how He would give her a special gift at Christmas: a baby. A special baby, God's own Son! I talked about how this Baby would be called Jesus because He would save His people from their sins.

Being curious kids I had lots of questions given to me, but one stood out. A nine year old boy asked me "but where did God come from?" I answered "well God always existed, He was always there. He made everything." But that didn't satisfy him. He said it again: "but who made God?" To which I answered "nobody did, He was just always there and all things came from Him. He was the beginning of all things and if you have asked Him to forgive you of all your sins and are living your life His way instead of your own, someday you will get to see Him and you can ask Him all your questions and He will answer them." He was satisfied with that answer because a few weeks ago he had asked Jesus into his heart.

What started out as a story 'oval' telling the Christmas story lead to me leading all the children in the 'sinners prayer'. Many had already said it at one time but wanted to again 'just to be sure'. It went something like this: "dear Jesus, please forgive me of all the bad things I have ever done. I'm sorry Jesus. Please come into my heart and help me live your way and not mine. I love you Jesus. In your name I pray. Amen."

The reason why Jesus came to this earth was so that sinful man could be reconciled to a holy God. Jesus is the only way to God the Father. He paid the price for our sins and if we repent of them and ask Him to forgive us, He will. Have a wonderful Christmas!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

(John 1:1-2, 14)

Post a Comment