Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Move On

"When you make a mistake, there are only three things you should ever do about it: admit it, learn from it, and do not repeat it." My friend Kevin posted this quote on his Facebook status and I really liked it but I think we should add one more thing to it: we need to move on from it. So many times we keep beating ourselves up over things that have been confessed, repented and forgiven. I don't know if we think we have to do penance for the mistake or if we simply don't believe that we could be forgiven of it, but one way or the other, sometimes we have a hard time of moving on, of letting go.

The Bible tells us that we are going to have troubles (Job 14:1). We are going to make mistakes, things that we shouldn't have done, things said wrong and errors in judgment. I hate to be so blunt but none of us are perfect. We'll mess up. We're falible. We're human. We sin. But the Bible is clear that we can be forgiven of our sins. God knows we will mess up and He has provided a way for us to get a fresh start every time we confess our sins to Him and ask for forgiveness. He will forgive. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 That's a pretty great promise!

But we have to extend forgiveness to those who have wronged us too. Matthew 6:14 tells us that if we forgive those who have sinned against us then our Heavenly Father will forgive us. So we know that we should forgive if we want to be forgiven but I like how Matthew 7:2 explains it:  "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Ouch! If I'm generous in my forgiveness then God will be generous in His towards me. If I'm not, then I have limited God's forgiveness towards me. I have determined the measures, not God or anyone else, but me.

If we show mercy, mercy will be shown to us. You've probably all heard the old quote "what goes around comes around". Nobody seems to know where it began but it's so true and I believe it originated with verses such as Matt. 7:2 and other portions of Scripture such as Matt. 5:7 "blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy". Basically what you give out, you'll get back. If you give mercy, you'll receive mercy. If you give forgiveness, you'll get it back.

Once forgiveness has been given we need to let the matter go. Once we have repented of our sins and God has forgiven us, we need to let it go. God doesn't hold it against us. He has promised that He will not hold our sins against us:
Isaiah 43:25 - "I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more." and we need to do the same towards those who have hurt us. Let it go. Move on. Holding on to it will only hurt you in the end. If you have a hard time doing this, ask the Lord for His help and He will freely give it to you. 

When I have a hard time forgiving someone who has hurt me, I remind myself  of how much God the Father has forgiven me of. Sometimes the person you have to forgive is yourself. Remind yourself of God's promises. Verses like the ones mentioned in this devotional. God doesn't go back on His promises. You can count on Him. He will forgive your repented of sins and He has the ability to forget them too. God bless.

Post a Comment