Friday, October 7, 2011

I Know Who I Can Depend On


 When we were pastoring our first church, my husband was the district pastor for Nova Scotia, for the denomination which we were a part of. He would often visit the other churches and help the pastors via the telephone as much as possible. One particular church was having problems which needed his attention, so he travelled to be there in person. He was eight hours away and would be gone for three weeks minimum.

The kids and I had a daily routine, which we stuck to, but we did something special every day to make the time pass quickly until we could have Dadda back home again. Each night, after the kids had gone to bed, and before I went to bed myself, I would let the dog out to do his business. 

On one particular night, I decided to go out onto the step, while Dukie was walking around the yard. As I was buttoning up my jacket I was admiring the beautiful stars which were displayed across a black velvet sky and missed the last two steps of the stairs. I fell down onto the frozen ground and had the wind knocked out of me. 


I laid there crying from pain and Dukie ran back into the house. I tried to stand and found I couldn't so I crawled back up the steps and into the house to the phone. I called our friends Brian and Lynn and they came immediately to help. 

It was determined that Lynn would take me to the hospital and Brian would stay with the kids, but I still had to get back down the steps and up into their van. I tried pulling myself up to somehow walk but couldn't. Brian was conscious of being proper and didn't know how to help me get up. All I could think of was 'if only Brad was here he would get me upright and into that van', but I was thankful for good friends who did come to help when I needed them most. 

I knew I could depend on them. I knew that even though it was late at night when I called them that they would come. I never doubted it. I just knew they would be there for me when I needed them most. I could trust them. 

At the emergency department it was determined that I had broken one ankle and tore ligaments in the other. I had to be off my feet completely for six weeks! And I still had one more week to go without Brad being home. Many of the church ladies called offering help but since our kids had always done chores the help wasn't needed, the kids stepped up to the plate and ran the house even though they were only young. I could depend on them to be able to do what needed to be done.

When Brad got home I gladly turned the reins over to him and he took care of everything until I was back on my feet. I knew everything would be alright if he was here and it was. 

What or who are you trusting in today? Isaiah 26 tells us that we will have perfect peace if we trust in the Lord. If we trust in Him, He will never fail us. He is immovable as a rock. You can depend on Him. He will not leave you. You can trust Him. Just like I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that my friends would be there when I needed them and my children would help me and my husband would make everything alright, you can trust in the Lord to be at your side when you need Him most. He is as close as the mention of His name. Won't you call out to Him today? He will hear your call and answer.


Isaiah 26:3-4

 3 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. 4 Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal. 



Post a Comment