Friday, February 24, 2012

Drum, Drum, Drum, Drum

I was ten years old when my baby brother was born and we were living in Moncton, N.B. That day, after he was born, Dad piled me and my two sisters into the car and we headed for Lockeport, N.S. We were going to pick up my Nanny and Aunt and bring them back to Moncton to help Mom for a few weeks. We had never had a trip with just Dad before so we were pretty excited, besides we were going to see Nanny again. 


Have I ever mentioned that I have the most patient man in the world as a Father? Well, he is. One minute the three of us would be in the back seat and the next we would be crawling over the front seat to sit next to him. This was in the days before seat belts. He didn't mind, he just made sure we were all comfortable. 


We always sang songs to pass the time whenever we traveled but usually Dad just listened and encouraged us to sing more. But on this particular trip we convinced him to accompany us by keeping the beat. He would begin by  rhythmically repeating 'drum, drum, drum, drum' in a deep voice. Around the fourth or fifth 'drum' we girls would begin singing 'Oh I'll take the high road and you'll take the low road and I'll be in Scotland a afore ye, for me and my true love shall never meet again on the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomand.' We sang as sweetly as we could and Dad would continue his 'drums' a few more after the song would end and it was a beautiful thing.


We were so happy spending the time with Dad that we never asked to stop anywhere along the way, but by and by he pulled into an ice cream stand and got us each a soft served ice cream. We were quite impressed because we hadn't even asked for one. But Dad thought we needed a treat or maybe he needed a break from the constant singing and seat changing. I don't know, but I do know that he created a wonderful memory for all of us. The trip back home was nice because we had Nanny and my aunt with us but it wasn't as special as that trip alone with Dad.


I'm thankful that I have had a wonderful Dad. He is a man of integrity and honor; a man to emulate. And I am thankful that I had a safe, protected, happy childhood. I am blessed. This year I will turn fifty and I still try to live up to the person my Dad is. He is wise and gives good council. But the greatest gift he has ever given to his children is his walk with the Lord. He loves the Lord and it shows. He is a godly man and I am thankful for him. 


I still sing in the van as we travel and my sweet husband does the 'drums' for me and it takes me back to that day almost forty years ago when we traveled with Dad. 


Psalm 103:13 - "As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him"(NIV)


Exodus 20:12 - "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you."(NIV)

Post a Comment