Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let Them Talk--I Will Praise The Lord!


We've all had people talking about us at one time or another and we all know how much it can hurt. There is really no way to get people to stop but there is a way that we can change how we react to it. Whenever we face a problem like this we need to go to God's Word for advice. Psalm 57 speaks of our enemies 'whose teeth are spears and arrows and their tongue a sharp sword'. Words hurt; plain and simple. They are sharp and they wound us to our very heart.


How we react, when it seems like everyone is against us, can help us rise above the trouble and heal much faster than if we get caught up in the storm. In verse 7 of Psalm 57 the psalmist gives us the answer. He says 'my heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed. I will sing and give praise.'  When we are going through a trial we don't feel like singing or praising, but if we do our spirit will be lifted above our problem and we won't feel weighed down anymore.


It is a normal reaction to want to lash out at the ones who are talking about us, but if we choose, instead, to hold our peace and let the Lord fight our battles (Exodus 14:14), then we will have victory over our enemies. When we choose to 'fix' our heart on God and praise Him, we will see Satan defeated. But praise is a choice. It's not the natural response to trouble; it's a choice. Praise will set us free because our eyes are no longer on the enemy or even ourselves. When we praise our eyes are only on God. We are lifted above our problems and we can have peace because we know that God is on our side and will close the mouths of our adversaries just as He closed the mouths of the lions that Daniel faced. (Daniel 6)


If you are facing the pain of being the object of ridicule and gossip, let me encourage you to take your eyes off the naysayers and fix them on God. Praise Him for what He is going to do for you. Praise Him for encouraging you. Praise Him for who He is. Praise Him and keep praising Him and He will bring you through this trial. It might feel like the whole world is against you and you have no one on your side, but that is not true. God is with you always and will never leave you (Hebrews 13:5) If God be for us, who can be against us? (Romans 8:31).


1Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be over past.


 2I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.


 3He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.


 4My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.


 5Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.


 6They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah.


 7My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.


 8Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.


 9I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations.


 10For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.


 11Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth. Psalm 57






Post a Comment