Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Message

When it comes to Bible translations I prefer either the King James Version or the New International Version. It's just personal preference. However, there is much to be gained by cross referencing other translations and sometimes even paraphrased versions of God's Word, which leads me to what I want to share today.  The Message: The Bible In Contemporary Language, which is actually a 'highly idiomatic translation' (according to Wikipedia), because it was translated from the original languages, has a way of bringing God's Word to life in a way that we have not seen in other translations. 


I usually don't read The Message but today I did and as I did it had a 'message' (pun intended) that I felt I needed to share with someone, maybe you. I came to a familiar portion of Scripture, Isaiah 40:26-28, and as I read it I felt like the translation just made it seem so much more personal than other translations I have read before. Why don't you read it now and see what I mean? 


Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying, "God has lost track of me. He doesn't care what happens to me"? Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening? God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind.
Isaiah 40:26-28 



Isn't that amazing? I love it when it says 'God doesn't come and go. God lasts.' Many times if we fail our friends they'll leave us, but God never does. Even when we complain and whine, God stays beside us. He never gives up on us. God loves us.


I have always encouraged people to read the Word. In fact one dear friend has told me it should be engraved on my tombstone. But now let me encourage you, to every now and then, read other translations so that you gain new perspective on God's message to all of us. God's Word is living and it is real and it will change your life if you allow it.


For you die hard King James fans here are the same Scriptures in that translation:



27Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God?
 28Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
 29He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
 30Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
 31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

It is all God's Word. Allow Him to speak to you through it today. God bless.


Post a Comment