Monday, February 20, 2012

Looking Forward

In only 16 days I am leaving for Africa, a little over, 10933 kilometers or 6794 miles from my home. I am going as a chaperon for a group of high school students who will be working with the Me to We organization and Free the Children to build a school for children who have never had one. I'm excited and scared and thrilled and humbled that I have this opportunity to see a part of the world that I have long wanted to see. I'm looking forward to it. 


I was around seven years old when I started looking at National Geographic magazines and television specials. I can remember one program which featured the Masai warriors with their beautiful red capes wrapped around them, standing so proud, looking over the plains of Africa. I knew then that I wanted to see them and be with them some day and now, I'm going.


When I was ten years old another life changing event happened to me which would not only impact my life, like nothing else, but would change the course of my life for eternity. It was during an evening church service, in June of 1972, that God spoke to my heart and compelled me to come to Him. I realized then my need of a Saviour. I knew that just because my parents were Christians and I attended church regularly didn't mean that I had a right to someday go to Heaven. I needed to have my sins forgiven and turn my life over to Christ. 


I tearfully made my way to the altar and asked the Lord to forgive me of my sins and to help me live for Him. I knew then that He had made a place in Heaven for me; that He had written my name down in the Book of Life (Rev. 20:12, 15). I knew that I had Heaven to look forward to and I have been even after all these years. 


I only know what Kenya looks like from pictures and descriptions but in sixteen days I will see it for myself. I only know what Heaven looks like from descriptions I have read in God's Word, but just like I know I will see Kenya in person, I know I will one day see Heaven in person. I will stand on the street made of gold (Rev. 21:21) which is by a crystal clear river (Rev. 22:1). I will sit by the throne of God which has a rainbow around it (Rev.4:3) and I will see all the sights which I have only read about in a Book. 


I know Heaven is real and I'm looking forward to being there. 

Post a Comment